Aim of Sub-Group:
The overall aim of the South Tipperary Disability Groups Forum is
- To promote the development of universal access at all levels through policies, actions and ways of working to seek to ensure the full involvement and inclusion of all people with disabilities in everyday South Tipperary life to achieve their own full potential to ensure maximum quality of life
- To contribute to, advise and support the roll out of the County Strategy for Economic, Social and Cultural Development as prepared by the South Tipperary County Development Board
- People with Disabilities in South Tipperary
- People caring for individuals with disabilities
- Organisations & Agencies supporting people with disabilities
- Community based disability supports groups
- Families of children with disabilities
STDGF ACTIONS FOR 2014
- Support to organisations organising events relevant to highlight the issues of Disability across South Tipperary. STDGF will also promote these events where possible and will aim to have a representative at these events.
- The Forum is available to support and be represented at Disability Awareness raising projects for South Tipperary
- Organise Equality training for members of the STDGF in conjunction with DFI, Equality Authority of Ireland and the Health Promotion Dept of the HSE & Tipperary & Cashel Gold Star Project
- Advocacy role in addressing barriers to employment for people with Disabilities; assessment of current training provision, training needs, gaps in service county wide; supports for employers when hiring an employee with a disability; supports for employees with a disability in partnership with relevant agencies
- Look at the social outlets & activities in South Tipperary for people with disabilities and start the research for an information website & leaflet for people with disabilities re access to social activities. Also through this action STDGF aims to encourage social groups to be inclusive towards people and to help them address the barriers that may prevent people with disabilities partaking. This action will help forge the link with mainstream activities.
- Host review meetings with the town engineers to look at the work completed in each area as outlined in previous tier meetings
- Partake in Positive Ageing Week events 2014
- Work is ongoing in this area with the Gold Star being extended to Tipperary Town.
- A community training programme on traditional skills for a community project in the sensory garden Cahir – training is targeted at people with disabilities is continuing and will be completed in early 2014.
- A HSE Lottery application was made on behalf of STDGF requesting funding for Disability Awareness training for social activity leaders. This application was successful and the forum received €1000 to host this project which will be rolled out in early 2014 in coordination with STCVF
- STDGF will be promoting National Disability Week Events taking place in Tipperary and will be asking all groups and organisations to be inclusive to people with disabilities in South Tipperary– December 2014 A consultation process will take place this day to identify areas of concerns for people with a disability.
A social events will took place in Cahir Sensory Garden in July 2014
STDGF are at present working with DFI to develop a manifesto for 2014
- The STDGF will support the development of new disability associations such as the Development of the Tipperary Dyspraxia Association in 2014
STCVF, HSE, Sports Tipperary Sports Partnership, DFI, South Tipperary County Council, South Tipperary VEC, South Tipperary County Childcare Committee, STSEP, IWA; Katie Cunningham ABI Ireland NCBI; Carers Association, Head-Way, Cluain Training, Brainwave, Special Olympics Tipperary, DFI, SPEAK, MS Society
STDGF has no budget. STCVF offers administration support to the forum. Venues have been provided by forum member groups.
€1000 through the HSE Lottery Fund
At present the forum continues to meet every 2 months to look at disability issues and to network information. We will continue to follow our action plan and to link with relevant agencies to carry out these actions.
Proposed Actions for early 2014
- Completion of the disability project in the Sensory Garden in Cahir
- Finalise the manifesto for STDGF prior to the elections in 2014
- Completion a consultation process with disability groups re issues affecting them and how STDGF can held them.
- Conference on Social Activities for people with disabilities in South Tipperary
- Contact will be made with disability groups in North Tipperary in conjunction with the merge taking place in 2014 between STCVF & Cava North Tipp
- Accessible Transport
- Funding for STDGF for the delivery of actions as outlined in strategic plan & also to source worker to take over work of forum
- Gaps that will appear in services due to early retirement in the HSE
- The Children’s Services Committee has identified a number of gaps in relation to children with disabilities and STDGF will work with the CSC and apply to our action plan for 2013 where applicable.
- South Tipperary County Childcare Committee under their funding requirements will have limited resources to support front line work with families and carers of children with disabilities.
- Provision of Social Activities for people with disabilities in South Tipperary
For Further Information Contact
South Tipperary Community & Voluntary Forum
Tipperary Local Authority
Community & Enterprise Section