Tipperary County Council has been selected as a Pilot Local Authority for the implementation of the PPN Structure. Each local authority must adopt the framework for public participation in local government, which will set out the mechanisms by which citizens and communities will be encouraged and supported to participate in the decision-making processes of the local authority.
It is proposed that a new framework for public engagement and participation, to be called “The Public Participation Network (PPN)” will be developed within each local authority area (engaging in and within municipal districts and at the County/City level) to enable the public to take an active formal role in the policy making and oversight activities of the Local Authority’s areas of responsibility
The PPN will be the main link through which the local authority connects with the community, voluntary and environmental sectors without prejudice to other consultation processes (Report on the working group on citizen engagement with Local Government February 2014)
Role of the PPN
- To contribute to the local authority’s development for the County a vision for the well-being of this and future generations
- To facilitate opportunities for networking, communication and the sharing of information between environmental, community and voluntary groups and between these groups and the local authority
- To identify issues of collective concern and work to influence policy locally in relation to these issues
- To actively support inclusion of socially excluded groups, communities experiencing high levels of poverty, communities experiencing discrimination,
- To encourage and enable public participation in local decision making and planning of services
- To facilitate the selection of participants from the environmental, social inclusion and voluntary sectors onto city/county decision making bodies.
- to support a process that will feed the broad range of ideas, experience, suggestions and proposals of the Network into policies and plans being developed by agencies and decision makers in areas that are of interest and relevant to the Network
- To work to develop the Environmental, Community and Voluntary sectors so that the work of the sectors is clearly recognised and acknowledged and the sectors have a strong collective voice within the County/City.
- To support the individual members of the Public Participation Network so that they can develop their capacity and do their work more effectively, participate effectively in the Public Participation Network activities and are included and their voices and concerns are heard.
Have you registered for the Tipperary Public Participation Network yet?
To register follow this link https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/NQ2LTPV or complete the attached form.
Even if you are already registered with CAVA in North Tipperary or the South Tipperary Community and Voluntary Forum you need to re register with PPN.