Become a FitLine Volunteer Mentor!
We are delighted to announce we are expanding our FitLine initiative in 2021 to reach more older adults right across the country. We’re looking for more volunteer mentors, individuals or groups, to join our FitLine team, to help us deliver this very worthwhile initiative.
FitLine, one of our Active programme initiatives, is a volunteer peer led telephone based motivation line which encourages older adults to introduce physical activity into their daily lives. FitLine is designed to help people who want to feel a bit healthier but just don’t have the motivation, confidence or information on where and how to take that first step.
FitLine mentor volunteers are required to provide encouragement and ideas about how older adults can do simple physical activities as part of their day to day routine to suit their own lifestyle, and to provide information about clubs, groups and facilities in their own communities.
The role of a FitLine mentor
• To make regular calls to registered participants who would like to start being more physically active.
• To be the voice of Age & Opportunity’s FitLine initiative while providing information, advice and gentle encouragement to participants to get moving.
• To be a key point of information on the FitLine initiative.
• To be a warm, friendly and welcoming presence.
• To act as a point of contact for members of the public.
• To have a good knowledge of the Age & Opportunity’s Active programme and be ready to share key information and make recommendations to the public.
• Be a self-starter and take initiative if you see something that needs attention.
• To enter basic information onto our CRM system.
• To follow the procedures outlined in Age & Opportunity’s Procedures manual
• Have an interest in physical activity and overall health and wellbeing;
• Have capacity to make phone calls for approximately three hours once a fortnight, to participants who have already registered to take part in the initiative;
• Have capacity to work from home;
• Have use of a laptop or computer and internet access;
• Be available to attend FitLine volunteer mentor training (3x2 hour sessions via zoom);
• Be willing to take part in ongoing training, such as leadership and resilience, when offered by Age & Opportunity;
• Enjoy being part of network of volunteers;
• Have excellent communication skills and a positive and encouraging outlook on life.
Reasons to volunteer
• Meet other older adults and older adult groups;
• Learn about benefits of physical activity and sport;
• Improve your communication skills by learning about motivational interviewing and behavioural change;
• Help older adults to remain independent and stay as healthy as possible.
How to apply
Please fill in the FitLine mentor volunteer application form attached to this email or click this link to download the form: https://ageandopportunity.ie/age-opportunity-active-fitline-mentor-volun...
Return your form to:
Margaret Roe, HR Manager, Age & Opportunity, Marino Institute of Education, Griffith Avenue, Dublin 9, or email it to Margaret.email@example.com by 12 noon on Monday the 11th of January 2021.
All details are also available on our website: https://ageandopportunity.ie/about-age-and-opportunity/get-involved/