Tipperary County Council is dedicated to supporting access to social, cultural, educational and employment opportunities for people with disabilities.
High level Community and Social Inclusion Priority 10 of the Local Economic and Community Plan 2015-2020 sets out actions to of an integrated approach to supporting people of all ages with disabilities to access opportunities so that their quality of life is improved including
• Supporting the development of programmes within the community and voluntary sector that develop opportunities for children with a disability to participate in integrated social activities.
• Supporting existing community and voluntary organisations that support children and adults with disabilities to develop their capacity and their ability to deliver services for people with disabilities.
• Support disability awareness training and policy development amongst the community and voluntary sector especially in relation to encouraging participation and inclusion in sports, cultural and social activities.
To achieve those objectives 5 public workshops were held in each of Municipal Districts in County Tipperary in March 2019 with a view to developing a County Tipperary Disability Action Plan.
The youth voice (Comhairle na nÓg) of Tipperary were consulted on the disability action plan in April 2019 as well as a consultation was held with St. Anne’s Special School in Roscrea in May, to ensure that viewpoints of this education stream would be included.
Actions to support those with disabilities that are supported by Tipperary County Council include:
• Sign of the Times (sign language assistive technology)
• Gold Star Programme Cashel and Tipperary Town – for accessible towns
• Back in Five Campaign- to increase awareness of the correct usage of Disabled parking spaces
• Picnic in the Park Event (Lunch ‘n Roll) –at Cahir Sensory Garden
• Development of autism friendly playground at Mulcahy Park Clonmel
• Disability Inclusion Training for Sports Clubs organised though the Sport Partnership – contact firstname.lastname@example.org for details
• Let’s Able not Label resource pack which will be availed of by all secondary schools in the County and use this as a platform to build an understanding and awareness of living with a physical, sensory or hidden disability