Tipperary County Council
Civic Offices, Clonmel | Civic Offices, Nenagh,
Co. Tipperary
Office Locations | Get Directions
+353(0)818 06 5000
9.30 - 4.30 Mon-Fri
9.00 - 1.00 Mon-Fri (Motor Tax)
Tipperary County Council Civic Offices, Clonmel | Civic Offices, Nenagh, Co. Tipperary
Tipperary County Council Civic Offices, Clonmel | Civic Offices, Nenagh, Co. Tipperary

Environmental Complaints

Environmental complaints arise from issues that pose a threat to the environment, a threat to health or an adverse impact on nature, amenity and lifestyle.

They come under a number of categories such as:

  • Air: Dust, Odour, Smoke
  • Derelict Sites
  • Dog Control: Stray dogs, Aggressive dogs
  • Litter: Abandoned Vehicles, Small Quantities of illegal dumping, Un-Authorised Signs/Advertising, Cars for Sale
  • Management/Infrastructure: Bottle/Banks, Landfill Sites, Recycling Centres
  • Noise: Dogs Barking, Industrial Activities, Domestic Disturbance
  • Veterinary: Dead Animals, Stray Animals (e.g. horses)
  • Waste Enforcement: Illegal Waste Collection, Illegal Waste Dumping (Large Quantities), Illegal Waste Storage, Non Disposal of Household Waste, Contravention of Environmental Regulations
  • Water: Agricultural Pollution, Domestic Pollution (Septic Tanks), Industrial Pollution, Water Pollution (Rivers, Streams or Drains)

Some areas, like wildlife and habitat protection, workplace health and safety, and public health are the responsibility of specific public bodies and not the Environment Section.

Please see the Environmental Protection Agency’s brochure "See Something, Say Something - How To Make An Environmental Complaint" attached below.

Steps to deal with a Complaint:

  1. Contact the Person or Business Directly

    Frequently, it is possible to resolve your concern through discussion by contacting the person that is causing the problem directly. If this is not possible refer to Step Two.
    If you do contact the person or business directly, decide beforehand what result you would like. Contact them and outline the issue that needs to be resolved, how you would like to see it resolved and come to an agreeable situation.

    Rather than go through this complaints process you have the option of bringing your own actions under many sections of environmental law especially under NOISE.

  2. Contact the Local Authority
    If the first step in the process has not produced a satisfactory result please:-
    • Contact 0818 06 5000 and provide the details of the problem.
    • Contact the National Environmental Complaints Line on a 24 hour basis at 1800 365 123
  3. If the problem is from an EPA Licenced Facility
    If you’ve been dealing with an EPA licensed site and the problem has not been resolved then you should contact the EPA.
    The National Environmental Complaints Line on a 24 hour basis at 1800 365 123

How to help us deal with your complaint:

  • DETAILS! Accurate and Comprehensive are essential - give as much detail as possible.
  • What specifically is the issue?
  • Where is the problem - ACCURATE DIRECTIONS assist with the officer finding the location.
  • Contact details: A contact number is really helpful to us to verify/clarify the location.
  • Who is the alleged offender(s) and / or what are the vehicle details.

Frequently Asked Questions:

  • I want to make a complaint and remain ANONYMOUS
  • Investigating anonymous complaints can be very difficult and time consuming.
    To properly deal with a complaint, we may need to be able to contact you for further information or assistance. You will be encouraged to give your name or at least a valid contact detail.
    Your name and contact details will be kept confidential should you request it. However, it is important to remember that a contact number for the inspecting officer is very helpful for investigating your issue and for updating you of the outcome.
    When you request that your name and contact details be kept confidential they will be withheld from any public file.
    Please note that information submitted to public bodies is subject to the provisions of the Freedom of Information Acts 1997 and 2003.

  • How long will it take to deal with my Complaint?
  • A complaint is forwarded to an inspecting officer immediately after receiving it. The length of time it takes depends on the details furnished by you, the severity of the complaint and the resources available.

  • Do I need to be available as a Witness?
  • In some instances a court action may be taken to resolve an issue. You may be asked to act as a witness, the inspecting officer will advise you in this matter.

  • I made a complaint to the Local Authority and I am not satisfied?
  • In cases where a local authority has investigated your complaint and the problem persists, please endeavour to discuss this with the Environment Section. If you are still unsatisfied please contact the EPA. The EPA will then investigate the issue and resolve it where possible.

    It is important to note that the EPA will not become involved in investigating an issue that should be resolved by a local authority, until the relevant local authority has been given an opportunity to investigate and resolve the issue.

    To submit a complaint for the attention of Environment, please use the following form customerservices@tipperarycoco.ie.
    You can also call the Customer Service Desk at 0818 065000.

    Complaints can also be logged at Fix Your Street.

Related Forms
Binary Data

Related FAQs

How to report an Environmental Incident?

You can contact the Environment Section of Tipperary Council if you have a report or concerns in relation to:

  • Air pollution (air pollution includes odours, burning, and dust)
  • Dog Control
  • Horse Control
  • Litter Control
  • Noise pollution
  • Pollution of Waters from Agriculture and Industry
  • Regulation of discharge of wastewater
  • Unregulated Waste Activity

Contact the Environment Section at customerservices@tipperarycoco.ie or on 0818 06 5000.

How do I make an Environmental Complaint?

If you have a complaint about environmental protection matters that fall within the remit of Tipperary County Council, please contact the Council directly and make your complaint in writing by downloading the form using the link below, alternatively contact the Environment Section at customerservices@tipperarycoco.ie or on 0818 06 5000.

When making a complaint via the telephone please give as much information regarding the complaint as possible to assist the inspecting officer, always give your name and a valid contact number.

What is the remit of the Environment Section in relation to litter complaints?

Litter relates to any substance or object (which can range in size, volume or extent, from anything like paper or cigarette ends to large items) when unlawfully placed (in a public place or visible from a public place), that is, or is likely to become, unsightly, deleterious, nauseous or unsanitary.
The Citizens Information website has information regarding litter and the law:

What is the remit of the Environment Section in relation to waste complaints?

Waste complaints can relate to commercial waste activities such as Waste Permitted Facilities, Waste Collection Permit Holders, Movement of Waste, Land-spreading of Waste Sludges and Sewage Sludges, etc. It can also relate to illegal waste activities, i.e. waste activity carried on without waste authorisation, such as the illegal Burning of Waste, etc.

Can I make my complaint anonymously?

Anonymous complaints can be difficult to deal with, as there is often a need to contact the complainant for clarification on details. Depending on the quality of detail provided by the anonymous complainant, the complaint may or may not be dealt with.
A complainants’ identity can be protected under the Freedom of Information Act once the complaint has requested that their identity be kept confidential.

Who is responsible for environmental protection?

Environmental Protection starts with each person (i.e. individual, company or partnership) and how they interact with the world around them.
There are a number of state bodies with responsibilities for environmental protection.

Is it illegal to burn waste?


Exemption is provided for certain agricultural practices but only as a last resort and after specified steps are taken to, reduce and recycle waste arising.
This agricultural exemption applies until 01st January 2021 when such activities will require a Certificate of Registration from Tipperary County Council.

If burning is causing a nuisance, contact the Environment & Climate Action department of Tipperary County Council at customerservices@tipperarycoco.ie or on 0818 06 5000.

What is Tipperary County Council’s position on odours from slurry spreading?

Tipperary County Council acknowledges that land-spreading of agriculture slurries is a normal part of agricultural practices, and that some level of odour can be expected from slurry spreading. All slurry spreading must be carried out in accordance with the Nitrates Directive transposed as European Communities (Good Agricultural Practice for Protection of Waters) Regulations.

What are the regulations regarding noxious weeds?

The regulation of noxious weeds including ragwort and thistle is covered by the Noxious Weeds Act 1936. Powers for the control of noxious weeds are vested in the Minister for Agriculture under this Act. The only persons authorised to enforce this legislation are the Department of Agriculture Inspectors and An Garda Siochana.
Environment Section Officers do not have any authority under the Noxious Weeds Act 1936 or the subsequent amendments to that Act. Complaints regarding ragwort and thistle should be referred to the Department of Agriculture and/or An Garda Siochana.

Can I cut trees down?

It is the owner of land on which a tree is growing who is responsible for its safety and maintenance. Complaints should be dealt with by the landowner directly.
Tree Preservation Orders (TPOs) may be made under Section 45 of the Local Government (Planning & Development) Act 1963, as amended. Complaints in relation to trees under TPOs should be directed to the Planning Section of the Council.
The Forestry Act 1946 contains provisions for the felling of trees. The Environment Section does not have any authority under the Forestry Act 1946.
For further information see: www.treecouncil.ie/treeinformation/treesandlaw.html

Who do I complain to about regulated waste activities?

In the first instance the complaint should be made directly to the waste facility. The facility manager is in prime position to deal with the complaint directly and is required to record the details and outcomes arising from the complaint.
If you are not satisfied with the response from the authorised waste facility, you can refer your details and the complaint details to the Environment Section, including details of your interaction with the waste facility, and an authorised officer will follow-up on the complaint and respond to you.
If you are still not satisfied you can refer the matter to the Environmental Protection Agency, who act as a resource for members of the public who have exhausted all other avenues of complaint.

What complaints are not dealt with by the Environment Section?

• Tipperary Roads Section deals with Complaints regarding hedgerows impacting on traffic safety.
• Tipperary Water Services Section deals with Complaints regarding Drinking Water Quality
• Tipperary County Council Planning Section deals with complaints regarding planning/development issues.
All of the above departments can be contacted by contacting customerservices@tipperarycoco.ie or on 0818 06 5000.
The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) deals with complaints regarding IPPC Licensed Activities and can be contacted on 053 - 916 0600 or by www.epa.ie/enforcement/report/

I suspect my collector is putting my brown bin into the same truck as my residual bin, what should I do?

Some collection trucks may have dual compartments which means they can collect two types of wastes simultaneously, however, if you have any concerns that this is not the case please contact our Environment Section and our enforcement officers will investigate.

email: environment@tipperarycoco.ie
or call: 0818 06 5000