What is the Regulatory Authority* required to do?
Produce and submit to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) an Environmental Inspection Plan (the RMCEI Plan) prior to 01st February of each year:
- Carry out inspections of installations regulated by environmental legislation, and
- Produce reports of those inspections.
What does R.M.C.E.I. mean?
R.M.C.E.I. = Recommended Minimum Criteria for Environmental Inspections
In 2001 the EU Parliament made a Recommendation that Member States provide a document of minimum criteria for Environmental Inspections.
To contribute to a more consistent implementation and enforcement of EU Environmental law.
All environmental inspections carried out by a local authority should be encompassed within the scope of the R.M.C.E.I. Plan to provide for consistency in regulation locally and nationally and for efficiency in staff management.
What is it?
The Environmental Inspection Plan is a document detailing:
- the framework of environmental inspection targets to be undertaken in order to achieve environmental priorities and outcomes during the coming year, and
- identifies the inspections undertaken and the achievement of environmental priorities and outcomes in the previous year, by monitoring the performance against the targets.
What must be in the Plan?
- Define the time period and geographical area to which the plan relates;
- Detail specific sites or types of installations covered by the plan;
- Include a programme for routine environmental inspections;
- Include procedures for dealing with complaints, accidents and incidents;
- Develop procedures to coordinate actions with other Inspecting Authorities; and
- Define a timeframe within which the plan must be reviewed.
Can I see the Environmental Inspection Plan for Tipperary?
Yes. Click on the links below to view the 2014 Plans for North and South Tipperary.
The first single Environmental Inspection Plan for County Tipperary will be developed from 2015 onwards.
If you have any queries in relation to this please contact the Environment Section by phone on 0761 06 5000 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org