Tipperary County Council
Civic Offices, Clonmel | Civic Offices, Nenagh,
Co. Tipperary
Office Locations | Get Directions
+353(0)761 065000
9.30 - 4.30 Mon-Fri
9.00 - 1.00 Mon-Fri (Motor Tax)
Tipperary County Council Civic Offices, Clonmel | Civic Offices, Nenagh, Co. Tipperary
Tipperary County Council Civic Offices, Clonmel | Civic Offices, Nenagh, Co. Tipperary

Waste Reduction Tips

  • Always carry a reusable shopping bag with you - don't accept every paper bag you are offered.
  • Only buy what you need - buy more & you'll throw it out!
  • Drink tap water instead of bottled water - keep a jug in the fridge.
  • Buy loose fruit & veg not pre-packaged - weigh vegetables separately but put them all in the one bag.
  • Compost organic waste from your kitchen & garden.
  • Choose products that are minimally packaged or with packaging which can be recycled.
  • Choose reusable napkins not disposable ones.
  • Leave newspaper supplements you are not going to read in the shop.
  • Bring a lunchbox to school/work instead of using foil or cling film.
  • When using paper - use both sides of the page.
  • Send emails whenever possible - never print them out.
  • Share magazines with friends & see if your GP can use unwanted magazines in the waiting room.
  • Return all junk mail to sender.
  • Bring old glasses back to the optician for use in the developing world.
  • Bring all your household batteries to the collection points in libraries & offices across the county.
  • Recycle ink jet/toner cartridges & mobile phones through your supplier.
  • Buy a vacuum cleaner with reusable/washable bags.
  • Donate books, old clothes & toys to charity shops and jumble sales.
  • Choose reusable nappies.
  • Use Styrofoam or broken crockery as drainage in plant pots.

Recycling Tips


  • Wash & squash containers/cans
  • Remove caps and lids
  • Separate glass according to colour
  • Ring the number on the recycling bank or your Local Authority if the bank needs emptying


  • No delph or ceramics to be placed in bottle banks
  • No recyclables to be left beside the banks even if they are full
  • No packaging (bags/boxes) to be left beside the bank as this is a littering offence
  • Related FAQs

    Does the Council accept waste?

    Yes, at our civic amenity centres in Cashel, Clonmel, Donohill, Nenagh, and Roscrea.

    Where can I dispose of my Christmas Tree?

    Christmas trees are taken free of charge at

    • Donohill Recycling Centre, Donohill
    • Cashel Civic Amenity Site, Cashel
    • Fair Green, Carrick-on-Suir
    • Nenagh Recycling Centre, Nenagh
    • Roscrea Recycling Centre, Roscrea
    • Templemore Town Park, Templemore
    • Parnell Street Car Park, Thurles.

    They can be disposed of after Christmas at appointed times.

    What specified areas in Tipperary are affected by the Household Food Waste and Bio-Waste Regulations?

    The Regulations are being phased in over the following timetable (and location):

    • 1st July 2014 for agglomerations > 10,000 persons; (i.e. CLONMEL)
    • 1st July 2015 for agglomerations > 1,500 persons, (i.e. BALLINA, CAHIR, CARRICK-ON-SUIR, CASHEL, FETHARD, NENAGH, NEWPORT, ROSCREA, TEMPLEMORE, THURLES, TIPPERARY TOWN) and

    What must I do with my food waste?

    Once you have segregated your food waste you may either:

    • Present it in your brown bin for collection by an authorised collector,
    • Subject the food waste to a home composting process on your premises, or
    • Bring the food waste to an authorised facility.

    Note: if a person home composts all reasonable steps shall be taken to minimise the creation of odours and nuisance.
    You must not:

    • Deposit food in the residual waste collection bin.

    What can I put into my brown bin?

    Note: Householders should contact their collector to ascertain if they can collect grass cuttings and light garden waste.
    Not allowed in the brown bin

    • Any items accepted in your recycling bin
    • Ashes, coal and cinders
    • Clothes/Textiles
    • Cooking Oils
    • Glass/Crockery
    • Light bulbs, Batteries and electrical items
    • Medicines
    • Metal
    • Nappies/Sanitary items
    • Plastic
    • Rocks
    • Sweet/crisp wrappers
    • Tin Foil
    • Toothpaste tubes

    Materials not accepted in your General Waste Bin

    • Bio-waste such as food/garden waste
    • Dry recyclables such as paper, cardboard, cans, cartons etc
    • Hazardous Waste such as oils, batteries, medicines, aerosol cans, paints etc

    What are the benefits of separating my food waste?

    Bio-degradable waste is actually a resource, it can be composted or treated through anaerobic digestion to produce compost or digestate that can be spread on the land, removing the need for chemical fertilisers and can also be a source of energy production. All this will help create and secure jobs, help reduce our dependence on fossil fuels and improve our carbon footprint and assist in Ireland’s promotion as a green economy.

    Will my brown bin be smelly and messy?

    If you adhere to the following advice your brown bin should produce little or no smells and certainly no more than the bin the waste currently goes into:

    • Keep the lid closed
    • Wrap food in old newspaper or kitchen towel
    • Place newspaper or cardboard at the bottom of the bins to soak up liquids and reduce smells
    • Present bin for collection regularly (every 2 weeks is recommended)
    • Wash out the bin regularly

    There are a number of bin and caddy liners available from supermarkets that can be used in your bin if desired, see below for type of liners to use.

    Should I carry on home composting if i have a brown bin?

    Yes, home composting is a great way to deal with all your plant derived food waste e.g. fruit and vegetable peelings, teabags and coffee grinds, eggshells, etc.
    There may, however, be a certain percentage of your food waste that you cannot home compost e.g. raw or cooked meats, these may attract vermin. You should given careful consideration as to how you will deal with this fraction of food waste. You will be in compliance with the Regulations as long as you can demonstrate to Local Authority personnel that you are dealing with your food waste in one of the manners outlined under the Household Food Waste and Bio-waste Regulations 2013.

    I live outside the specified areas identified in the Regulations but I would like a brown bin, what do I do?

    If you live outside the areas as detailed in the Regulations and would like to avail of a brown bin you should contact your collector to ascertain if they can provide you with the service, alternatively you could give consideration to using a home composter.

    How can I reduce my food waste?

    There are many ways to reduce your food waste and save money. It is estimated that households on average throw away 1/3 of the food purchased which equates to €1,000 worth of food every year, by doing this you are actually paying for it twice, the original purchase price in the shop and then paying your collector to take it away, there are also indirect costs of transporting it from the shop to your home and electricity costs to keep it refrigerated.

    You can cut down on food waste by carefully planning your menus and sticking to a shopping list, using your freezer wisely, using leftovers creatively, controlling your portion sizes and many other ideas and tips that can be found at www.stopfoodwaste.ie, and www.safefood.ie.

    Can I take my own household waste to a waste recycling or waste disposal facility?

    Yes, as long as it is your own waste. You must obtain a receipt from the facility confirming their acceptance of your waste.
    These receipts shall be retained should they be required for inspection by Authorised Officers of the County Council.

    What is the effect on householders of the electrical waste regulations?

    If you are a customer the retailer is obliged to accept back a “One for One” waste appliance or product when you purchase a new one.
    Should you wish to dispose of old electrical items you can bring them for free to the Council's Civic Amenity Sites / Recycling Centres.

    What can I put into my mixed dry recycling bin?

    Clean uncontaminated dry recyclables such as Paper, Cardboard, Food and Drink Cans, Cartons, Plastic, Plastic Bottles, etc.

    Note: Householders should contact their collector to ascertain what exactly they place in their mixed dry recycling bin.

    Glass can be brought to and placed in dedicated bottle banks.

    You must not deposit clean and uncontaminated packaging in the residual waste collection bin.

    You must not deposit Food Waste, Glass, Timber, Residual Waste, WEEE, or Hazardous Waste such as Batteries, etc. in the mixed dry recyclable waste collection bin.

    What happens to my dry recyclable waste?

    When your collector empties your mixed dry recycling bin into the bin truck this is taken to an authorised treatment facility for processing, such as sorting and compacting (baling). Most packaging waste is now considered a resource. This type of waste can be processed at a materials recovery facility to separate it into single waste streams. It is usually compacted into bales prior to transfer for recycling / recovery.