Carbon monoxide is a poisonous, tasteless, odourless, colourless gas created when natural fuels burn incompletely. In the home, heating and cooking equipment which burn fuel can be a typical source of carbon monoxide.
Carbon monoxide poisoning typically occurs from breathing in carbon monoxide at excessive levels. Symptoms are often described as "flu-like" and commonly include headache, dizziness, weakness, vomiting, chest pain, and confusion. Large exposures can result in loss of consciousness, seizures, or even death.
CO Safety Tips
• CO alarms should be installed in a central location outside each sleeping area and on every level of the home
• Follow the manufacturer’s instructions for placement and mounting height. In general a CO alarm will be placed at head height ( or on the ceiling if near the heat producing appliance i.e. boiler)
• As with smoke alarms Test CO alarms at least once a week and replace them according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
• If the CO alarm sounds, open all windows and door, immediately move to a fresh air location outdoors. Make sure everyone inside the home is accounted for. Call for help from a fresh air location and stay there until emergency personnel declare that it is safe to re-enter the home.
• If you need to warm a vehicle, remove it from the garage immediately after starting it. Do not run a vehicle or other fuelled engine or motor indoors, even if garage doors are open.
• Gas or charcoal bbq’s can produce CO — only use outside.