Silouette graphic representing Tipperary


This is a health risk particularly to children and domestic pets who may play in who may access this area. First of all you should arrange to have your system de-sludged. Then seek advice from a trained specialist in the area of domestic systems. You should treat the matter as requiring urgent remedial action.

Any queries in relation to the Regulations or use of brown bins or composting should be addressed to Environment Section at: or on 0818 06 5000.

If you are a customer the retailer is obliged to accept back a “One for One” waste appliance or product when you purchase a new one. Should you wish to dispose of old electrical items you can bring them for free to the Council's Civic Amenity Sites / Recycling Centres.

Once you have segregated your food waste you may either: Present it in your brown bin for collection by an authorised collector, Subject the food waste to a home composting process on your premises, or Bring the food waste to an authorised facility. Note: if a person home composts all reasonable steps shall be taken to minimise the creation of odours and nuisance. You must not: Deposit food in the residual waste collection bin.

If you adhere to the following advice your brown bin should produce little or no smells and certainly no more than the bin the waste currently goes into: Keep the lid closed Wrap food in old newspaper or kitchen towel Place newspaper or cardboard at the bottom of the bins to soak up liquids and reduce smells Present bin for collection regularly (every 2 weeks is recommended) Wash out the bin regularly There are a number of bin and caddy liners available from supermarkets that can be used in your bin if desired, see below for type of liners to use.

The Regulations are being phased in over the following timetable (and location): 1st July 2014 for agglomerations > 10,000 persons; (i.e. CLONMEL) 1st July 2015 for agglomerations > 1,500 persons, (i.e. BALLINA, CAHIR, CARRICK-ON-SUIR, CASHEL, FETHARD, NENAGH, NEWPORT, ROSCREA, TEMPLEMORE, THURLES, TIPPERARY TOWN) and 1st July 2016 for agglomerations > 500 persons. (i.e. ARDFINNAN, BALLYCLERAHAN, BORRISOKANE, BORRISOLEIGH, CLOUGHJORDAN, HOLYCROSS, KILLENAULE, KILSHEELAN, TWO-MILE-BORRIS)

Note: Householders should contact their collector to ascertain if they can collect grass cuttings and light garden waste. Not allowed in the brown bin Any items accepted in your recycling bin Ashes, coal and cinders Clothes/Textiles Cooking Oils Glass/Crockery Light bulbs, Batteries and electrical items Medicines Metal Nappies/Sanitary items Plastic Rocks Sweet/crisp wrappers Tin Foil Toothpaste tubes Materials not accepted in your General Waste Bin Bio-waste such as food/garden waste Dry recyclables such as paper, cardboard, cans, cartons etc Hazardous Waste such as oils, batteries, medicines, aerosol cans, paints etc

Yes, as long as it is your own waste. You must obtain a receipt from the facility confirming their acceptance of your waste. These receipts shall be retained should they be required for inspection by Authorised Officers of the County Council.

There are many ways to reduce your food waste and save money. It is estimated that households on average throw away 1/3 of the food purchased which equates to €1,000 worth of food every year, by doing this you are actually paying for it twice, the original purchase price in the shop and then paying your collector to take it away, there are also indirect costs of transporting it from the shop to your home and electricity costs to keep it refrigerated. You can cut down on food waste by carefully planning your menus and sticking to a shopping list, using your freezer wisely, using leftovers creatively, controlling your portion sizes and many other ideas and tips that can be found at, and