This grant scheme is now closed for 2021.
The latter part of the Decade of Centenaries from 2020 to 2023 reflects on and recalls significant historical events that took place between 1920 and 1923 that lead to the foundation of the state. These years signify a turbulent period in our history navigating the path from the struggle for independence to the admission of the Irish Free State into the League of Nations in 1921 and our challenge is to commemorate this most sensitive period in our history in an inclusive and respectful way.
In line with the principles outlined by the Government’s Expert Advisory Group on Centenary Commemorations in 2012, 2017 and 2019, the following broad themes have been identified for the period 1921-1923.
• The struggle for Independence 1919-1921
• The Civil War
• The Foundation of the State
• The experience of minority and border communities in Ireland.
• The admission of the Irish Free State into the League of Nations in September 1923
The funding is open to community and voluntary groups and organisations planning to organise a project/event to commemorate events under the themes highlighted as relevant to the county as part of the Decade of Commemorations programme for 2021.
To be considered eligible for funding the following must be demonstrated:
• Take place within or relate to the functional area of Tipperary County
• Enhance the knowledge of this period of history in the area
• Be mindful of the sensitivities involved with commemorating such a turbulent part of our history and be respectful in tone, be accessible to diverse audiences and participants and be inclusive in theme and approach
• That the proposal is designed on a realistic financial basis, providing good value for money and that all funding is used only in accordance with the agreed
• That the proposed event/project will be completed and the request for drawdown of grant submitted to the Tipperary Heritage Office by 31 October 2020, funding not claimed by this date will be lost.
CLOSING DATE : 12 NOON ON FRIDAY 29TH JANUARY 2021