Emergency/ Priority 1 case applications will only be process until further notice. This is due to the large volume of private housing grant applications submitted.
The Scheme of Housing Aid for Older People is available to assist older people living in poor housing conditions to have necessary repairs or improvements carried out. The effective maximum grant under the scheme of Housing Aid for Older People is €8,000.
Is it means tested? Top
Yes. Applicants will be prioritised on the basis of household means. The maximum grant of €8,000 is available to applicants with gross household incomes of up to €30,000 per annum tapering to 30% for applicants with gross household incomes of between €50,000 to €60,000.
Who can apply? Top
Applicant should be over 66 years of age or over and should be living on their own or with a spouse or with another person 66 years of age (or over).
What type of work is covered? Top
The types of works available under the scheme can be to assist older people living in poor housing conditions to have necessary repairs or improvements carried out.
Works may include;
- Roof repairs/replacement, Applicants must submit written confirmation from their home insurance company, that such repairs are not covered under their existing insurance policy.
- Rewiring, Applicant must enclose with their application, written confirmation from a Qualified Electrician, stating the condition of the existing wiring.
- Repairs to /replacement of some windows and doors.
- Provision of central heating, There is no grant available under this scheme for upgrading an existing central heating system These grants are available from the Sustainable Energy Authority of Ireland at 1850 927000.
- Water and sanitary services.
- Painting and radon remediation works.
Tax requirements Top
Any contractor undertaking works for Housing Aid for Older People Scheme must submit a current Tax Clearance Reference Number with the estimates for the required works. In the case of grant applications totaling €10,000 or more, the applicant must confirm Tax Clearance Reference for tax clearance verification purposes issued by the Revenue Commissioners must be submitted.
The terms and conditions of this grant are set out in the application form below.