Tipperary County Council
Civic Offices, Clonmel | Civic Offices, Nenagh,
Co. Tipperary
Office Locations | Get Directions
+353(0)818 06 5000
9.30 - 4.30 Mon-Fri
9.00 - 1.00 Mon-Fri (Motor Tax)
Tipperary County Council Civic Offices, Clonmel | Civic Offices, Nenagh, Co. Tipperary
Tipperary County Council Civic Offices, Clonmel | Civic Offices, Nenagh, Co. Tipperary

Motor Tax Procedures

Trailer Licences

Trailer licences refer to Trailers with a Gross Vehicle Design Weight in excess of 3,500kg. There is a legal requirement to license trailers annually at the Motor Tax Office, though there is no fee for the annual renewal of a licence. The Forms required for registration and taxing are:

Taxation of private vehicles

For first taxing of a new or imported vehicle you need :

Light Goods/Commercial Vehicles

The requirements for the first time taxing of a goods vehicle not exceeding 3,500kg design gross vehicle weight (DGVW).
All supporting documentation must be in the name of the registered owner. In the event of any differences, connectivity must be established to the satisfaction of the Licencing Authority.

Heavy Goods/Commercial Vehicles

Heavy goods vehicles are vehicles exceeding 3500kg Design Gross Vehicle Weight.
For first taxation of a heavy goods vehicle in your name you need :

Taxis & Hackneys,Limousines, Large Public Service vehicles, Youth & Community Buses, School Buses

The application forms as itemised under Private Vehicles and Goods Vehicles are also the forms to be used for taxing these categories of vehicles.

The following additional documentation is required:-

Current Small Public Service Vehicle Licence issued by the National Transport Authority. .

Change of Ownership

Vehicles registered since 01/01/1993:

Replacement Documents

If you have misplaced any of the following documents, Form RF134 (available at Motor Taxation Office or can be downloaded at www.motortax.ie) must be completed and witnessed by a member of the Garda Siochana at your local Garda Station.

Procedures for Declaring a Vehicle Off the Road

From the 1st October 2013 if a vehicle is not going to be in use in a public place, a declaration (Form RF150) must be made to your local motor tax office or at www.motortax.ie during the month that the current tax is expiring. You can take the vehicle off the road for a minimum of 3 months - maximum of 12 months.

List of Authorised Testers



Phone No:


Moyle’s Garage

List of Weighbridges

Name Address Contact No’s Opening Hrs Max Capacity
Liffey Mills



Conversion of Vehicles

A vehicle conversion is a modification to the registered details of a vehicle

Change of Engine

To make an application to record a change of Engine you need:

Trade Plate Licences

Trade plates are special registration plates obtainable only by motor traders. The uses of these plates by motor traders are restricted to prescribed uses in connection with the motor trade. They are issued for a period of one calendar year and become obsolete on the last day of each year.

Subscribe to Motor Tax Procedures