Tipperary Fire Service supports Carbon Monoxide Week 2016 which runs from 26th September to the 2nd October.
The aim of the campaign is to highlight the fact that carbon monoxide (CO) can, and does, kill. It is colourless, odourless, hard to detect and it can kill in less than three minutes. On average, six people in Ireland die every year as a result of unintentional carbon monoxide poisoning. But there’s a lot you can do to safeguard against it.
• Carbon Monoxide can be produced by ANY fuel that burns, including coal, turf, oil, gas and wood.
• Service fuel burning appliances and have chimneys swept annually.
• Install an audible carbon monoxide alarm in your home.
In the event of an alarm going off you should do the following:
• Open doors and windows to ventilate the area.
• Turn off/ stop using fuel burning appliances immediately.
• Get everyone in the property into fresh air.
• If you are sure you are not suffering any symptoms related to carbon monoxide poisoning, call a quailed service agent to check your appliances before you re-use them.
• If you are still concerned call the CO Awareness Line on 1850 79 79 79.
In the event of actual or suspected poisoning:
• If you, or someone you know is experiencing some of the symptoms and you suspect carbon monoxide poisoning, visit a doctor immediately and ask them to check for carbon monoxide poisoning.
• If you find someone ill or unconscious and suspect carbon monoxide poisoning, ventilate the area immediately by opening all windows and doors.
• Stop using fuel burning appliances immediately and don’t use them until they have been inspected by a qualified service agent.
For further information on CArbon Monoxide or Carbon Monoxide week 2016 please visit http://www.carbonmonoxide.ie/