Here are some general guidelines on fire safety and awareness this Christmas.
- Something on freshly cut trees drying out and keep away from open fires.
- Check your Christmas tree lights conform to a recognised standard e.g. BE, EC. Check for any damaged or
frayed wiring and if damaged, discard.
- Never place candles near your Christmas tree or furnishings. Don't leave them burning unattended
- Never overload electrical sockets. Take special care with Christmas lights.
- Decorations can burn easily - Don't attach them to lights or heaters
- Make sure your family and guests staying for the festive period know what to do in an emergency. Make a
fire escape plan.
- Most fires start in the kitchen - never leave a cooker unattended.
- Celebrate Christmas and New Year safely. The risk of accidents, especially in the kitchen, is greater after
alcohol is consumed.
- Make sure you have a working smoke alarm. Check the batteries and use Christmas as a reminder to clean it
and remove dust.
- Make sure candles and cigarettes are completely extinguished before going to bed. Keep matches and
lighters away from children.
- Take a second to check on elderly relatives and neighbours this Christmas - make sure they are fire safe.