Tipperary County Council
Civic Offices, Clonmel | Civic Offices, Nenagh,
Co. Tipperary
Office Locations | Get Directions
Telephone:
+353(0)761 065000
9.30 - 4.30 Mon-Fri
9.00 - 1.00 Mon-Fri (Motor Tax)
Tipperary County Council Civic Offices, Clonmel | Civic Offices, Nenagh, Co. Tipperary
Tipperary County Council Civic Offices, Clonmel | Civic Offices, Nenagh, Co. Tipperary
customerservices@tipperarycoco.ie

Clonmel Workingmen’s Boat Club

  • Workmens boat club members enjoying a days fishing
  • Island Boat house Clonmel
  • The Quay Clonmel
  • Photo of Irish Volunteers outside the Boat Club, 1917

The Clonmel Workingmen’s Boat Club was established in 1883, at a time when many workingmen’s clubs were being established around the country.
Tipperary County Archives hold records for the organisation from 1910, click on the link below to find an extract from the minute books from 1910 and a full transcript of these books from 1910 - 1949.
From the records we hold we can see the participation of members in many national activities: in Irish language classes in the clubhouse; in labour, trades and union activities; in National and Irish Volunteers and in local government.

Boat repair, rowing, fishing and racing was available in the club and this was particularly strong in the early years. As well as focusing on the river and boats, the club carried out a very important social function. Card and billiard playing was carried out and dances were of huge importance. The was significant interaction between the Boat Club and other organisations and clubs in the town. In latter years, the club diversified somewhat and carried out a number of fascinating projects including, the River Suir Project (1991), the ‘Celebration of the Suir’ project and of course the conservation of the famous ‘Cruiskeen’ boat (2007).

For access to the minutes of the Clonmel Workingmen’s Boat Club
Access to the Archives is by prior appointment only. As we have limited staff we request that appointments be made at least 24 hours in advance. Contact should be made with staff by phone or email. Opening hours in the Archives are from 10am – 1pm and from 2.15pm – 4.15pm.
Archivist@tipperarycoco.ie
Tel: 0761 06 5000

The County Archive welcomes all visitors & enquiries, and staff will provide assistance to identify the records of interest to you for your research. While we are unable to undertake actual research on behalf of the public, advice is given on whether there are records held relevant to a query.

We aim to make our collections accessible and available to researchers in Tipperary and beyond, consistent with the preservation of material and the practical limitations of our resources.

Access is governed by the Reading Rules and Guidelines below
Researchers must complete a Reader's Registration Form

Related Content