26 October 2023
Five low-cost actions you can take now!
- Reduce the temperature. Use a lower temperature for your washing machine and dishwasher and use the eco-settings. Wait until you have a full load before turning them on. Dry your clothes outside as much as possible
- Bath or Shower? Taking a shower uses only 20% of the energy it takes to heat the water for a full bath. However, pumped electric showers are still one of the biggest energy users in the home.
- Oven dinners. Ovens use a lot of energy. Appliances such as microwaves, toasters, slow cookers and air fryers are more efficient ways to cook your food.
- Close the door! Don’t leave the fridge door open for too long while getting food. It takes a lot of effort for the fridge to cool down to its original temperature afterwards.
- Only the boil the kettle when you need it. A small device but it does use a lot of energy.