Tipperary County Council
Civic Offices, Clonmel | Civic Offices, Nenagh,
Co. Tipperary
Office Locations | Get Directions
+353(0)818 06 5000
9.30 - 4.30 Mon-Fri
9.00 - 1.00 Mon-Fri (Motor Tax)
Tipperary County Council Civic Offices, Clonmel | Civic Offices, Nenagh, Co. Tipperary
Tipperary County Council Civic Offices, Clonmel | Civic Offices, Nenagh, Co. Tipperary


Environmental & Litter Complaints

Can I cut trees down?

It is the owner of land on which a tree is growing who is responsible for its safety and maintenance. Complaints should be dealt with by the landowner directly.
Tree Preservation Orders (TPOs) may be made under Section 45 of the Local Government (Planning & Development) Act 1963, as amended. Complaints in relation to trees under TPOs should be directed to the Planning Section of the Council.
The Forestry Act 1946 contains provisions for the felling of trees. The Environment Section does not have any authority under the Forestry Act 1946.
For further information see: www.treecouncil.ie/treeinformation/treesandlaw.html

What is the remit of the Environment Section in relation to waste complaints?

Waste complaints can relate to commercial waste activities such as Waste Permitted Facilities, Waste Collection Permit Holders, Movement of Waste, Land-spreading of Waste Sludges and Sewage Sludges, etc. It can also relate to illegal waste activities, i.e. waste activity carried on without waste authorisation, such as the illegal Burning of Waste, etc.

Who do I complain to about regulated waste activities?

In the first instance the complaint should be made directly to the waste facility. The facility manager is in prime position to deal with the complaint directly and is required to record the details and outcomes arising from the complaint.
If you are not satisfied with the response from the authorised waste facility, you can refer your details and the complaint details to the Environment Section, including details of your interaction with the waste facility, and an authorised officer will follow-up on the complaint and respond to you.
If you are still not satisfied you can refer the matter to the Environmental Protection Agency, who act as a resource for members of the public who have exhausted all other avenues of complaint.

What complaints are not dealt with by the Environment Section?

• Tipperary Roads Section deals with Complaints regarding hedgerows impacting on traffic safety.
• Tipperary Water Services Section deals with Complaints regarding Drinking Water Quality
• Tipperary County Council Planning Section deals with complaints regarding planning/development issues.
All of the above departments can be contacted by contacting customerservices@tipperarycoco.ie or on 0818 06 5000.
The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) deals with complaints regarding IPPC Licensed Activities and can be contacted on 053 - 916 0600 or by www.epa.ie/enforcement/report/

What is the remit of the Environment Section in relation to water complaints?

Water complaints can relate to water pollution from agricultural, industrial/commercial or domestic activities, etc. www.citizensinformation.ie/en/environment/water_services/water_quality.html

Can I make my complaint anonymously?

Anonymous complaints can be difficult to deal with, as there is often a need to contact the complainant for clarification on details. Depending on the quality of detail provided by the anonymous complainant, the complaint may or may not be dealt with.
A complainants’ identity can be protected under the Freedom of Information Act once the complaint has requested that their identity be kept confidential.

Who is responsible for environmental protection?

Environmental Protection starts with each person (i.e. individual, company or partnership) and how they interact with the world around them.
There are a number of state bodies with responsibilities for environmental protection.

Is it illegal to burn waste?


Exemption is provided for certain agricultural practices but only as a last resort and after specified steps are taken to, reduce and recycle waste arising.
This agricultural exemption applies until 01st January 2021 when such activities will require a Certificate of Registration from Tipperary County Council.

If burning is causing a nuisance, contact the Environment & Climate Action department of Tipperary County Council at customerservices@tipperarycoco.ie or on 0818 06 5000.

Is the burning of waste in bonfires illegal?

It should not be used as an excuse to burn household and hazardous waste that has built up. Problems that can arise from bonfires include smoke that is potentially toxic, hazardous substances that can explode and cause injury and ground and water pollution from the ashes of the fire. It is also important to remember that burning of household waste in your backyard, fireplace or a waste burner is also illegal and can lead to a fine of up to €3,000.

Who needs a Waste Collection Permit?

Any person collecting and transporting of waste for profit, reward or, otherwise in the course of business needs a waste collection permit.
Under Section 34 of the Waste Management Acts 1996-2011 the collection and transporting of waste for profit or reward or otherwise in the course of business requires a waste collection permit issued by a local authority, in accordance with the requirements of the Waste Management (Collection Permit) Regulations 2007, as amended.

How to report an Environmental Incident?

You can contact the Environment Section of Tipperary Council if you have a report or concerns in relation to:

  • Air pollution (air pollution includes odours, burning, and dust)
  • Dog Control
  • Horse Control
  • Litter Control
  • Noise pollution
  • Pollution of Waters from Agriculture and Industry
  • Regulation of discharge of wastewater
  • Unregulated Waste Activity

Contact the Environment Section at customerservices@tipperarycoco.ie or on 0818 06 5000.

Where do I apply for a Waste Collection Permit?

From the 1st February 2012, all new waste collection permit applications and applications for the review of waste collection permits shall be processed by the National Waste Collection Permit Office (NWCPO), Offaly County Council, Ara an Chontae, Charleville Road, Tullamore, Co. Offaly. Tel: 057 9346800.
Please visit www.nwcpo.ie for more information

Does Tipperary County Council operate an asbestos collection and disposal service?

Tipperary County Council does not have a licensed facility to accept asbestos. You should contact a licensed waste contractor (ensuring they are licensed specifically to deal with asbestos).

What is Tipperary County Council’s position on odours from slurry spreading?

Tipperary County Council acknowledges that land-spreading of agriculture slurries is a normal part of agricultural practices, and that some level of odour can be expected from slurry spreading. All slurry spreading must be carried out in accordance with the Nitrates Directive transposed as European Communities (Good Agricultural Practice for Protection of Waters) Regulations.

How do I make an Environmental Complaint?

If you have a complaint about environmental protection matters that fall within the remit of Tipperary County Council, please contact the Council directly and make your complaint in writing by downloading the form using the link below, alternatively contact the Environment Section at customerservices@tipperarycoco.ie or on 0818 06 5000.

When making a complaint via the telephone please give as much information regarding the complaint as possible to assist the inspecting officer, always give your name and a valid contact number.

What does Tipperary County Council do about noise pollution?

Tipperary County Council deal with noise complaints from commercial and industrial activities, but it is not the policy of Tipperary County Council to become involved in domestic noise complaints between neighbours. The County Council encourages the affected person to approach the person causing the noise nuisance, and explain that it is a burden and try to come to a mutually acceptable solution.
If this fails, the affected person can make a formal complaint to the District Court. Guidance on how to go about this is available:

What is the remit of the Environment Section in relation to air pollution complaints?

Air pollution can relate to items such as nuisance arising from burning of rubbish, dust, smoke, odours, etc. It can also extend to smoky coal, decorative paints, solvents, etc.
The ENFO and Citizens Information websites have some information regarding air pollution.


What does Tipperary County Council do about Air Pollution from odours and fumes?

Odours and fumes generated by industrial premises are usually controlled by having systems in place to deal with the emissions. Problems can be created when unpleasant odours or fumes are released which cause a nuisance to residents in the area. Offensive odours can often be difficult to trace where there are many industrial or commercial premises in an area, such as an industrial estate. However, when making a complaint, it helps our investigation if you can identify where the fumes or smell is coming from.


How do I contact the Revenue Commissioners?

Revenue contact number for Local Property Tax (LPT) and Household Charge (HC) arrears queries from the public
Telephone: 1890 200 255 (ROI only)
+353 1 7023049 (outside ROI)

Revenue Commissioners email address for Local Property Tax (LPT) and Household Charge (HC) arrears queries from the public

Revenue postal address for sending Local Property Tax (LPT) and Household Charge (HC) payments after July 1.
Local Property Tax Branch Revenue Commissioners PO Box 1 Limerick

Your Council
Higher Education Grants

What Documents do I need to have my Higher Education Grant application re-assessed/reviewed?

PAYE / Social welfare recipient

  • Completed renewal form
  • Social Welfare form completed by your local social welfare office
  • P60 & P21
  • Gross Income from Deposit Accounts/Investments
  • Details of Dependent children
  • Details of College Courses being pursued by dependent children
  • Exam Results

In addition if you are self employed you may also need the following documents:

  • Certified Accounts in respect of self-employment including rental accounts, Trading Profit & Loss, Balance Sheet & Capital Accounts.
  • Notice of Assessment.

Higher Education Grants Postgraduate Progression – I have now completed my undergraduate Course. Can I still receive my grant?

All applications for postgraduate funding are now dealt with by SUSI.

How can I contact SUSI?

Telephone Number: 0761 087874
E-Mail support@susi.ie

If I want to change my Higher Education course who do I apply to?

If you change your course, or course level you then need to apply to SUSI.

If I have to repeat a year do I get a Higher Education Grant?

No, repeat years are not covered for grant purposes.

I am not happy with the level of Higher Education Grant that I am receiving how can I appeal this decision?

Appeals must be made in writing to Mr. Pat Slattery, Director of Corporate Services, Tipperary County Council, Civic Offices, Emmet Street, Clonmel, Co Tipperary or Civic Offices, Limerick Road, Nenagh Co Tipperary.