Tipperary County Council
Civic Offices, Clonmel | Civic Offices, Nenagh,
Co. Tipperary
Office Locations | Get Directions
+353(0)818 06 5000
9.30 - 4.30 Mon-Fri
9.00 - 1.00 Mon-Fri (Motor Tax)
Tipperary County Council Civic Offices, Clonmel | Civic Offices, Nenagh, Co. Tipperary
Tipperary County Council Civic Offices, Clonmel | Civic Offices, Nenagh, Co. Tipperary


Your Council
Electoral Register

How can I check if I am registered to vote?

You can check by going to www.checktheregister.ie, or by contacting your local Voter Registration Office – 0818 06 5000.

How do I qualify to get on the Draft Register of Electors for Tipperary County Council?

Every person over 18, ordinarily resident in the County qualify to be on the Register.

When is the closing date for receipt of applications to be on the Register?

The 25th of November each year (see note 1)

(Note 1: if you are 18 between 25th November and 15th February, you may apply to be registered to vote).

What form must I use to get onto the Register of Electors?

The form entitled “Application for Registration – Register of Electors”, which is available at all public offices of Tipperary County Council, Garda Stations, Post Offices and Libraries or download same on www.checktheregister.ie

When is the Draft Register of Electors published?

1st November each year

If I am not on the Draft Register, what can I do?

You can apply to be included by completing a form RFA1, entitled “Claim for Correction in Draft Register of Electors”

When is the closing date for the submission of the RFA1 form?

25th November each year.

If I am on the Register of Electors, what elections am I entitled to vote in?

Every adult resident in Ireland is entitled to be registered, but citizenship determines the elections at which a person may vote:
• Irish Citizens may vote at every election and referendum
• British citizens can vote at Dail, European and local Elections (not at referendums or presidential elections) (D)
• EU citizens may vote at European and Local Elections (E)
• Non EU citizens may vote at local elections only (L)

Who qualifies to get on the Supplement Register?

Residents of the County who are 18 years or over.

What must I do to get on the Supplement?

Complete form RFA2 (usually a green form), which must be witnessed at your local Garda Station

When is the closing date to get on the Supplement for the next Local Elections?

..Closing date for the supplement to the Register is Tuesday 7th May 2019


What are the statutory time limits for taking Enforcement Action?

Under the Planning and Development Act 2000 proceedings can not commence.

  • In respect of a development where no permission was granted, after seven years from the date of the commencement of the development.
  • In respect of a development which was granted Planning Permission, after seven year from the date of expiration of that permission

What actions will be taken when my complaint is received?

An acknowledgement will be issued. The complaint will be referred to the Planning Inspector and a site inspection will take place.

You will be forwarded a copy of any Warning Letter or Enforcement Notice issued. Where the Planning Authority decides not to issue a Warning Letter or Enforcement notice you will be advised in writing within two weeks of making that decision.

How long will it take to investigate my complaint?

Written complaints must be investigated within 6 weeks.

What is Exempted Development?

Exempted development is development for which planning permission is not required. Generally, it includes developments of a minor nature such as

Building of an extension, shed, garage, boundary walls etc. within the curtilage of a dwelling house subject to conditions and limitations (see below) and not restricted by a condition of a planning permission.

  • Works that affect only the interior of a structure.
  • Works that do not affect the external appearance of a structure.
  • Some agricultural structures.
  • Some changes of use.

Full details of exempted development provisions including conditions and limitations is contained in Schedule 2 of the Planning and Development Regulations 2001 – 2018. The Department of Housing, Planning and Local Government has produced planning leaflets for the general public in relation to frequently asked questions including exempt development Planning Leaflets

Note, in certain instances, development is restricted from exemptions. These are set out Article 9 (1) of the above Planning and Development Regulations 2001 – 2018.

How do I check if planning permission has been granted for a development?

You can inspect the Planning Register in the Planning Department.
Planning Lists and Drawings can be viewed at the Planning Public Counter or at the following links or by clicking on the Search Planning Records link on the right hand side menu.

If I have breached the planning laws unintentionally what should I do?

If you think you may be in breach of planning laws you should contact Tipperary County Council’s Planning Department to discuss the steps you need to take to rectify the situation.

How do I make a complaint regarding Unauthorised Development?

Under the Planning and Development Act 2000 a complaint must be made in writing, and can be sent to the following address

Planning Department,
Tipperary County Council,
Civic Offices,
Limerick Road,
Co. Tipperary.
-or- Planning Section,
Tipperary County Council,
Civic Offices,
Emmet Street,
Co. Tipperary

Phone: 0818 06 5000

Alternatively you can email your complaint to: planning@tipperarycoco.ie

Information you need to provide when making a Complaint

  • The location of the site,
  • details of the suspected breach,
  • any details you have regarding the owner or occupier of the property,
  • the date the development began,
  • your name and address and
  • daytime contact telephone number and the
  • Planning Application Reference no. if applicable

Is my complaint confidential?

Your name and address will be treated in strictest confidence by Tipperary County Council. You should note that under the Freedom of Information Acts a copy of a complaint can be sought, however Tipperary County Council's policy is to withhold the name and address of complainants unless consent is given to release them.

Environmental & Litter Complaints

What is the remit of the Environment Section in relation to animal related complaints?

Animal complaints relate to items such as Dogs, Horses, Animal Carcasses in public places, etc.
A member of the public can make a complaint regarding excessive barking of dogs to the district court by making an application under Section 25 of the Control of Dogs Act, 1987. The form can be downloaded using the more information link below.
A member of the public can make a complaint regarding control of horses, animal carcasses in public places, etc.
The Citizens Information website has some information regarding control of horses, dogs, etc.

What does Tipperary County Council do about Air Pollution arising from dust?

Dust may arise from various sources (e.g. agricultural, commercial, construction, industrial, etc.) in particular during prolonged spells of dry weather. During demolition and construction works, dust is often generated which can cause a nuisance to nearby residents. As well as looking unsightly, dust can prevent people using gardens and opening their windows.
If you would like to make a complaint about odours, fumes or dust, please contact Environment Section of Tipperary County Council at customerservices@tipperarycoco.ie or on 0818 06 5000.
Complaints in relation to noise, fumes or dust arising from a construction activity should be directed to the Planning Section of the Council, as it may be dealt with under a condition of planning.

What is the remit of the Environment Section in relation to litter complaints?

Litter relates to any substance or object (which can range in size, volume or extent, from anything like paper or cigarette ends to large items) when unlawfully placed (in a public place or visible from a public place), that is, or is likely to become, unsightly, deleterious, nauseous or unsanitary.
The Citizens Information website has information regarding litter and the law:

What are the regulations regarding noxious weeds?

The regulation of noxious weeds including ragwort and thistle is covered by the Noxious Weeds Act 1936. Powers for the control of noxious weeds are vested in the Minister for Agriculture under this Act. The only persons authorised to enforce this legislation are the Department of Agriculture Inspectors and An Garda Siochana.
Environment Section Officers do not have any authority under the Noxious Weeds Act 1936 or the subsequent amendments to that Act. Complaints regarding ragwort and thistle should be referred to the Department of Agriculture and/or An Garda Siochana.

What is the remit of the Environment Section in relation to Derelict Sites and Dangerous Structures?

Land that detracts from the amenity of land in the neighbourhood by allowing its buildings fall into ruin, or is neglected or collects litter, rubbish, debris or waste, can be derelict. The Environment Section will work with the Municipal District to address issues relating to Derelict Sites and Dangerous Structures.
The Citizens Information website has some information regarding derelict sites and dangerous structures.

What is the remit of the Environment Section in relation to noise complaints?

Noise is unwanted sound and can sometimes cause nuisance. The ENFO and Citizens Information websites have information regarding noise complaints