Silouette graphic representing Tipperary

Housing Assistance Payment (HAP) Scheme

Local authorities may assist you in finding accommodation in the private market if you qualify for social housing. The local authority will pay the landlord and you will pay a rent contribution to the local authority.

Housing Assistance Payment (HAP)

Housing Assistance Payment (HAP) is a new social housing support. Persons must be a qualified housing applicant(s) before they can apply for HAP.

If you are eligible as an approved housing applicant, you must find your own private rented accommodation (within specific rent caps). 
The Local Authority will pay the landlord directly and the tenant will pay a rent to the local authority based on the differential rent scheme. The rent will be based on your weekly household income and works in a similar way to the differential rents charged for local authority houses.


See the attached Tenant & Landlord sheets for more detailed information.